A new report from Hootsuite and We Are Social shows that over one million Australians have joined social media in the past 12 months. The report revealed what our habits are when we are on social networks.
Almost 84% of Australians are now active social media users, according to the Digital 2022 report. This is a year-over-year increase of more than four per cent.
What does this mean for marketers?
If you’re not using a social media marketing strategy, now is the time. Fifteen million Australians can be reached by advertising on Facebook. Instagram’s advertising reach has jumped 16%, and now 13 million users in Australia can be reached each month on the platform.
But the biggest leap happened to TikTok. Ad reach increased by 37%, with nearly eight million Australians in potential ad reach. This number shows no signs of slowing down.
Perhaps with a lesser, but still significant reach, YouTube’s potential grew to nearly a million users.
It’s not just an increase in the number of users, but our online time has increased. Australians between the ages of 16 and 64 spend nearly two hours a day on social media. Facebook remains the most used social platform, followed by Facebook Messenger and then Instagram.
Investment in advertising
Australian businesses have also recognized that through social advertising a global audience can be reached. Thus, the amount invested in digital advertising is constantly increasing. An additional $551 million was spent on social media advertising in 2021.
Social media advertising accounts for 27% of total digital advertising spend in Australia. These increases show that more and more companies are beginning to see that the investment is worth it.
It’s time to focus on TikTok
Australian advertisers have been slower to jump on the TikTok bandwagon. However, Digital 2022 showed it to be the third most downloaded app in 2021, behind Service VIC and Service NSW apps.
Our online behaviors
The report also broke down the online behaviors of the typical Aussie. From the most visited websites to the social media sites we depend on the most. Here are some other key stats from the study.
Internet usage in Australia:
- 23.6 million Internet users in total, an increase of 3.4%.
- Google, Facebook, YouTube, Wikipedia and News.com.au are the most visited websites according to Semrush.
- 18% of people aged 16-64 use voice assistants to find information every week.
- Sixty-four percent are concerned about what is real and factual on the internet.
Use of Australian social media:
- YouTube’s potential advertising audience grew by almost a million users.
- The potential reach of TikTok’s advertising audience (7.38 million people aged 18 and over) exceeded Snapchat’s 7.25 million.
Buying behavior of Australians aged 16-64:
- 21% order groceries through an online store.
- 13% purchased a second-hand item through an online store.
- 13% have used a buy now, pay later service.
- 60% say free shipping is the top factor encouraging them to make an online purchase.
- Bunnings, Kmart, Nike, eBay and Big W were Google’s top shopping queries.